Octopath Traveler 2 is a JRPG that follows eight different characters with unique stories and abilities. You can choose which character to start with and then recruit the others along your journey. The game features a turn-based combat system that allows you to exploit enemy weaknesses and use special skills called Boosts and Breaks. The game also has a beautiful 2D/3D art style that blends pixel graphics with realistic lighting and shadows.
Some of the positive aspects of Octopath Traveler 2 are:
- The game offers a lot of variety and replay value with eight different stories and multiple endings.
- The combat system is deep and strategic, requiring you to plan your moves carefully and use your resources wisely.
- The game has a rich and immersive world with diverse locations, cultures, music, and side quests.
- The game has a charming retro aesthetic that pays homage to classic JRPGs while adding modern touches.
Some of the negative aspects of Octopath Traveler 2 are:
- The game can be repetitive and grindy at times, especially if you want to level up all your characters and complete all the content.
- The game can be confusing and frustrating with its lack of guidance and direction, leaving you to figure out where to go next or how to progress certain quests.
- The game can be inconsistent in its difficulty level, sometimes being too easy or too hard depending on your party composition and enemy encounters.
- The game can be disjointed in its storytelling, as the eight characters rarely interact with each other or have meaningful connections.
Overall, Octopath Traveler 2 is a solid JRPG that will appeal to fans of the genre who enjoy exploring a vast world with multiple paths and possibilities. It may not be perfect or innovative, but it delivers what it promises: a nostalgic yet refined adventure that will keep you hooked for hours.